Monday, September 28, 2009

just an observation


So, I was walking into a store this past weekend, and I witnessed something that was pretty disappointing. Like most grossly and unecessarily large department stores that I should be ashamed to shop at, this one had two sets of doors; one set was automatic and opened when you came near, and one set was manual and you had to use your own strength to open the doors. I was about 20 steps away from the doors when I saw the following: A man approached the manual set of doors, but stood infront of them for a few seconds, apparently assuming that they were going to open for him. Then, since he was close enough to them, the set of automatic doors to his right opened. For about 4 seconds, he stood infront of the manual doors and looked back and forth between them and the automatic ones, trying to decide what to do. Finally, EVEN THOUGH HE WAS RIGHT INFRONT OF THE MANUAL ONES, he walked over to the other set of doors and walked through them. So, instead of reaching out his little arm to open a door on his own, he went out of his way to walk through the automatic doors. I think that this is a fine example of contradiction and laziness. He was too lazy to open the door himself, but he walked extra steps to go out of his way to walk through the door that opened for him. I think automatic doors are fine when used to comply with accessibility standards. For people who use wheelchairs or even mothers with strollers, the automatic doors make sense. But for people with full use of their extremities, the automatic doors only serve to highlight laziness. If you are capable, please consider using the muscles in your arms to open a door!

2 comments:

lauren camel said...

whenever I am at a store I try to use the manual door but as I approach it the automatic door always opens anyway!

Christine Leigh said...

A for effort! Those doors are so frustrating! You should watch the movie Idiocracy.